If you are looking for a mattress that is both good for you and the environment, you’ve come to the right place! We bring you trusted reviews of the top mattresses, including natural, organic, and eco-friendly mattresses, to simplify the decision-making process.
*Although we make every effort to ensure all prices are accurate, we cannot guarantee that they are always up to date. Free offers may be subject to additional terms.
This website is an independent comparison site that aims to help consumers find the most suitable product for their needs.
We are able to maintain a free, high-quality service by charging an advertising fee to featured brands whenever a user completes a purchase.
These advertising fees might impact the placement of the brands on this page and combined with the conversion rates might impact the scoring as well which are further based on a combination of review findings, user experience and product popularity.
For more information please review our
how we rate
page. We make best effort to present up-to-date information; however, we do not compare or include
all service providers in the market.
How We Rate
Our scores, ratings, and labels are based on our reviewer's findings, product testing, product popularity, and advertising fees combined with conversion rates. For more information take a look at our
How We Rate page
It’s important to understand that the “organic” label doesn’t immediately mean that the mattress you’re looking at is 100% organic. In fact, 100% organically made and processed mattresses cost a fortune compared to others, yet the actual value between those is almost identical.
While there are a number of different definitions of natural mattresses, they are all based on the same set of principals – the manufacturer utilizes eco-friendly materials, the manufacturing process is organic, and the product doesn’t contain harsh, aggressive chemicals.
These are some of the most recommended mattresses:
A mattress is considered organic if it complies with some, or all, of the above-mentioned criteria to a certain extent, enough to earn a specific certification (or a number of them) issued by an USDA-approved representative.
CertiPUR-US applies to mattress foams, and bans the use of harmful chemical compounds including PBDEs, and requires testing for many other chemicals. This certification can be considered the minimum requirement for non-toxic mattresses.
Greenguard (Gold) Certification
Greenguard and Greenguard Gold test a finished mattress for specific emission limits of a number of volatile chemical compounds which can cause respiratory illnesses and memory impairment, and are linked to smog and ozone pollution.
Organic Content Standard 100
This certification is issued based on the percentage of certified organic materials used by the manufacturer. Generally, the higher the percentage, the more eco-friendly the mattress is, and the higher the price.
Oeko-Tex Standard 100
Oeko-Tex Standard 100 is basically a combination of CertiPUR-US and Greenguard as it sets tight emission limits for volatile chemical compounds and bans a number of chemical retardants, colorants, dyes, and allergens that can severely harm your health. This certification can be regarded as the medium standard of the best organic, green mattresses.
Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS)
GOTS ensures that at least 95% of raw materials are organically certified, and prohibits the use of certain harmful chemical compounds in the remaining 5%.
Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS)
GOLS ensures that the latex contained in the mattress is at least 95% organic while placing a number of restrictions concerning various chemicals on the other 5%. Both GOTS and GOLS are considered the highest standards for natural, ‘green’ mattresses.
Great Mattresses to Choose From
The American, handmade Saatva luxury CertiPUR-US mattress is built with an emphasis on comfort and sustainability. The cover is made from cotton fabric and the manufacturer utilizes a unique coil-on-coil construction feature to offer maximum relaxation every night.
The lower coil unit represents a connected, hourglass-shaped steel support base that’s further enhanced with lumbar support made of a high-quality memory foam layer. This layer provides exceptional pressure relief, stress reduction and decreased tension from the lower back. The upper coil unit features an individually wrapped coil mechanism that precisely contours and responds to your body while almost completely eliminating motion transfer.
The price of the queen-size mattress is $999, which is pretty impressive compared to other luxury brand choices in the category. The shipping and delivery process includes free white-glove delivery, removal of your old mattress and installation of Saatva in your desired spot.
All mattresses are custom-made depending on your selected specifications including size, height, frame/foundation (if desired) and firmness. You can also test the mattress for free for 120 nights.
As for the certifications, Saatva’s most notable certificate is the CertiPUR-US.
If you are an environmentally-conscious buyer, then Saatva’s Zenhaven line of OEKO Tex Standard 100-certified, luxurious latex mattresses is a good fit for you. It uses materials including Talalay latex, New Zealand wool, and cotton covers to give a comfortable sleeping solution at an affordable price.
Zenhaven’s mattresses don’t use any ozone depleters, PBDE flame retardants, phthalates, formaldehyde, mercury, lead, or other heavy metals, or any volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Zenhaven mattresses are very good at temperature regulation and prevent users from sensations of heat from the mattress. This is primarily because of the latex’s temperature regulatory features. Upon pushing gently into the mattress, you can feel the softness of the woolen cover, and as soon as the pressure starts to build up, you can sense the latex responding. Zenhaven mattresses boast very good support, high-quality bounce, and can support most body types and sleeping positions, all while maintaining a pretty low motion disturbance.
One of the most unique aspects of these mattresses is that you can choose different comfort levels for each side of your mattress, basically creating two mattresses in one. All mattresses include free, white-glove shipping along with mattress removal of your old mattress.
Zenhaven is a bit on the pricey side in comparison to its competitors, with a queen-sized mattress costing $1,899. But the dependability of the mattresses, the responsiveness of their customer support team, the comprehensive features, and the fact that you basically get two mattresses makes up for it.
A leader in the best latex mattress category, Happsy delivers the ultimate sleeping experience by combining organic cotton, wool, and latex to create one of the best mattresses available today.
All of the above-mentioned materials are organically grown without any harmful pesticides or GMOs, and the manufacturing process is in strict compliance with the highest organic standards. The mattress is free from chemical flame retardants, harmful processing techniques, and artificial flame barriers.
Support and contouring are enabled via individually pocketed springs, which, unlike firm foams, cradle anything you put on them regardless of shape, size, and weight, while substantially reducing motion transfer. The cooling mechanism is enabled with the help of organic wool, which creates a microclimate inside the mattress to regulate temperature and humidity. The system is further enhanced with a two-inch organic latex layer with built-in air channels to keep the heat away, and breathable coils.
Happsy mattresses feature highly competitive pricing. A queen-size, organic mattress costs $1,199, and the vendor also offers monthly payment plans starting at $106/monthly. Finally, you have the option to test-drive the mattress for free for 120 nights to really get the feel of the product. As for certifications, Happsy features GOLS, GOTS, and Greenguard, among others.
When it comes to natural, organic mattresses, there is no single right or wrong decision. While the products described above are among the leaders in their categories (based on customer reviews, pricing, manufacturer’s reputation and the quality of materials), a number of brands are definitely on their way to overtake the competition. Here are some that are worthy of checking out:
More Great Natural & Organic Mattress Options
Naturepedic manufactures mattresses for adults, kids, and even babies! They have numerous certifications and verifications such as GOLS, FSC, formaldehyde-free, Greenguard, and OSC100, among others. Furthermore, they have a bevy of awards under their belts — both environmental and product. Want a vegan mattress? You’re in luck because Naturepedic also offers a vegan organic latex mattress line.
With premium handmade construction quality and astonishing purity of raw materials, Metta Bed offers extreme comfort and support at an affordable price ($1,199 for a Queen-sized mattress). Greenguard and GOTS-certified, this mattress provides organic latex, organic cotton, and organic wool to create a natural flame barrier while keeping you cool as you sleep.
Sleep is one of the most important, yet highly underrated aspects of our lives. While comfort, relaxation, and stress relief are what you should be expecting from a premium quality mattress, non-toxic, healthy, organic materials and manufacturing process will not only enhance those attributes but help preserve your health and well-being. That’s an investment definitely worth considering.
Our goal is to provide answers to all of your questions so you can make a confident purchasing decision. We welcome your feedback, so please email us at
firstname.lastname@example.org with suggestions and questions. We’d love to hear from you!
To control third party cookies adjust your browser settings. To opt out of Google Analytics visit here