When Is the Best Time to Buy a Mattress?
Buying a new mattress is an expensive purchase, which is why you need to plan ahead. Your average quality mattress has a lifespan of about eight years, give or take. There are also some noticeable signs that it’s time for a new bed. Some examples are regular wear and tear, increased allergies, muscle stiffness upon waking up, and noisy springs. An older mattress is less comfortable and supportive which leads to poor sleep quality and in general can negatively affect your health. There are many ways you can cut down the cost, including knowing the best time to buy a mattress, and we’re going to walk you through them!
Time of Year Matters
There are certain times of the year when mattresses go on sale. The big ones are these holidays:
- Labor Day
- Black Friday/Cyber Monday
- Memorial Day
- Fourth of July
It works out really nicely because there is a mattress sale in each season of the year. Throughout the year there are sales here and there, but you can count on most mattresses going on sale during these holidays. Of those holidays, Memorial Day is probably the best since new mattress models come out in the late spring. Once the new model is for sale, the price of the previous year can drop by a lot.
Brick and Mortar VS Online
There is comfort in seeing a product before purchasing it, which is something you get with a brick and mortar store. Particularly with a purchase as important as a mattress, you want to make sure that you know what you’re getting and that it fits your needs. You want to walk into the store and try out every mattress until you find the one that is just right. You can consult with the salespeople roaming around the store to explain all of the different features and help you make your decision.
With this in mind, it is understandable that one might be apprehensive about making an online purchase of a mattress. Here are some reasons why it can be beneficial to buy online:
- Most online mattress stores have a long trial period. This can ease your decision-making because if you realize within the trial period that the mattress is not for you, you can simply return it. Many online mattress brands even offer free returns.
- Along those lines, you also get to try it out in the comfort of your own home. Actually see how you sleep on the mattress throughout multiple seasons. Find out if you wake up refreshed and pain-free or if the mattress is too hot at certain times of the year. As long as you’re within your trial period, you can choose to return the mattress if it doesn’t work out for you. This is definitely better than spending just a few minutes testing a mattress in a traditional store while you’re wide awake, under bright fluorescent lights, and may have an audience of shoppers.
- Pay less. Since there is no store (usually just a warehouse), there are fewer fees for the mattress company, and therefore you can get much better deals.
- You don’t have to go anywhere! The best part of online shopping is that you can do it in your PJs.
Something else to consider while mattress shopping is to look at the actual cost, as opposed to the percentage that you save. Taking 50% off of a very expensive mattress can still result in an overall price that is greater than a less expensive mattress with only a 10% off sale. Throughout the year mattress stores will have promotions and bundle deals that will help you save a lot.
For example, at the time of writing this article, Nectar is offering a mattress protector, sheets set, and premium pillows with every mattress purchase. That is a value of $399 that you get for free. (Pro tip: if you want your mattress to last longer, use a mattress protector!) Furthermore, Nectar mattresses are affordable, starting at just $499.
They also have a deal right now if you refer a friend and they also purchase a Nectar mattress, you both get 3 months of free HULU. Comfortable bed + good show = total win!
There are actually a lot of great things about ordering from Nectar. You have an option to live chat with a real person who can answer all of your questions. Good customer service makes all the difference. Furthermore, Nectar mattresses are delivered for free, come with a one-year free trial, a forever warranty, and financing options. Returns are free should you decide the Nectar isn’t for you.
You can check our Nectar review as well as user reviews — the comments from many happy customers really speak for themselves.
Looking for a mattress with organic certifications? Then Plushbeds is for you. Standard commercial mattresses can have chemicals added to them, such as flame retardants, that not everyone wants next to their bodies night after night.
The founder and CEO of Plushbeds writes on their About page that the company was established after researching mattress options for his newborn. His company’s goal is to create high-quality mattresses that are available for an affordable price. This family-run business hand-crafts mattresses in California from GOLS-certified organic latex and GOTS-certified organic cotton and wool. Plushbeds offers free shipping and returns, a 100-day trial period, and a 25-year warranty on all mattresses.
Plushbeds is also a company that prides itself on giving back to the community. Some examples include their Green Environmental Scholarship program and donating a percentage of every mattress purchase to a charity of the buyer’s choice (chosen at checkout). In 2020, when there was a shortage of protective gear for America’s first responders, Plushbeds even shifted their factory to manufacture and donate antimicrobial face masks.
Plushbeds offers four types of latex mattresses, including hybrid latex mattresses, made with GOLS-certified organic latex. These mattresses are known for their durability, so a purchase of one should last you a long time. Plushbeds also offers two models of memory foam mattresses that are made with GreenGuard Gold and CertiPUR-US-certified foams. With certain mattress models, you can even choose your desired firmness level and mattress height.
While the materials used to construct Plushbeds mattresses raises their prices significantly, Plushbeds almost always has a sale offering more than $1,000 off. At the time of writing, Plushbeds is offering $1,200 off of their mattresses and includes a free luxury sheet set as a gift with purchase. That means that their Hybrid Latex EcoBliss mattress starts at just $549!
Plushbeds also offers exclusive discounts to our community heroes under these 8 categories: military, responder, medical, teacher, senior, non-profit, union member, and disadvantaged. If that describes you then this could be a great place to buy a premium mattress at a more affordable price.
The Bottom Line
- The best time to buy a mattress is when it is on sale! The following holidays are when there are major mattress sales: Labor Day, Black Friday, Memorial Day, and The 4th of July.
- Shop in the springtime. This is when the new models come out the previous ones go on sale.
- Look at the actual cost after discount, not the percent of the sale
- Buying online. Because the company doesn’t need to pay for a storefront, so they can charge less
- Look for bundle deals. As previously mentioned, Nectar (at the time of this writing) has a sale where you can get $399 worth of merchandise as a gift with purchase.
- Find out if you’re entitled to extra discounts. For example, if you’re a first responder, you’ll be able to save even more with Plushbeds.
As always, make sure to plan ahead for a big purchase like a new mattress. Do your homework and read the fine print. Most importantly though, enjoy your new bed!